[Histonet] RE: mouse testis in Bouins

Jackie O'Connor b427297 <@t> aol.com
Fri Sep 14 18:55:12 CDT 2012

As a GLP tox lab, we have done away with using Bouin's altogether - there is literature out there (somewhere - not handy now) that indicates Modified Davidson's fixative provides the same testicular detail of bouins, without the picric acid danger.  We switched about 3-4 years ago, and our testicle experts are happy.  I believe most labs are getting away from Bouins.
Jackie O'

-----Original Message-----
From: Frances Elizabeth Barron <fbarron <@t> stanford.edu>
To: histonet <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Fri, Sep 14, 2012 12:21 pm
Subject: [Histonet] RE: mouse testis in Bouins

Hi Margaret,

Our protocol for whole mouse embryos E14.5-E18.5 was to fix in Bouin's for 5-7
days at room temp (I have gone longer, but it isn't exactly recommended). Most
of the length of time, however, was to compensate for the large tissue size and
need for good penetration. I'm not sure how that converts to your particular
tissue of interest.

For long term storage, John Shelton at UT Southwestern (who did our vacuum
processing for large embryos) told me that it was preferred to put them in 1%
neutral buffered formalin and store them at room temp. We had previously been
storing them in 70% EtOH, but John said that the long exposure to EtOH leads to
excessive drying of the tissue and ultimately brittleness if used later. I'm
assuming this thought could be applied to any tissue piece, but I don't have
enough experience to really know. We have successfully gotten beautiful paraffin
sections from 3mo-1year samples that have been stored this way.

I'm hoping this will be of some help to you, and perhaps others in the list can
comment.

Best of luck,
~Francie

Francie Barron, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Fellow, Joseph Wu Lab

Stanford University School of Medicine
Lorry I. Lokey Stem Cell Research Building
265 Campus Drive, Room G1105
Stanford, CA 94305-5454

Phone: (650) 724-5564 or (650) 724-9240
Fax: (650) 736-0234