[Histonet] air drying special stain slides rather than dehydrate and clear

Diana McCaig dmccaig <@t> ckha.on.ca
Tue Sep 11 09:32:08 CDT 2012

I was hoping to get information on why special stains are dehydrated,
cleared and mounted vs allowing them to be blotted dry, air dried then
coverslip.

Every procedure I have ever encountered always indicates to dehydrate
and clear but I have heard where some labs are blotting the slides ,
allowing to air dry (probably not set standard time) and dipped in
xylene prior to cover slipping.  Reason given is that the counterstain
gets washed out.  Wouldn't adjusting the times be a better resolution.

I understand residual water could be present and cause long term issues
on storage but wanted some other opinions on this process.

Diana