[Histonet] RE: Tossing old tissues...

Weems, Joyce K. Joyce.Weems <@t> emoryhealthcare.org
Tue Sep 11 09:14:14 CDT 2012

We put everything in double red bags and add packets of Neutralex to equal approximate amount needed. We do empty large containers, but I'm thinking about stopping that as well.

We have Chemclav on site and have no known problems for the past several years. j

Joyce Weems
Pathology Manager
678-843-7376 Phone
678-843-7831 Fax
joyce.weems <@t> emoryhealthcare.org

www.saintjosephsatlanta.org
5665 Peachtree Dunwoody Road
Atlanta, GA 30342

This e-mail, including any attachments is the property of Saint Joseph's Hospital and is intended for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).  It may contain information that is privileged and confidential.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message, and reply to the sender regarding the error in a separate email.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Tom McNemar
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 10:04 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Tossing old tissues...

Hello all,

A question came up during our last JCAHO inspection regarding the dumping of old tissues.  Do you just throw out the intact specimen containers with formalin and all into biohazard trash?  Do you drain/collect the formalin for other disposal and just place the drained tissues into the biohazard trash?  If you drain/collect, do you wear a respirator while doing it?

We have always drained and only thrown the tissues into the bio trash and have not used a respirator.  We monitor regularly and always make certain to include this task (along with the making of formalin) when monitoring for exposure and are always way below the acceptable limits.  I don't think we have ever done and STEL just for the dumping of tissues though.

Just wondered what everyone else did.  I would like to stop draining and just dispose of container and all but we pay by the pound for disposal.

Thanks.

Tom McNemar, HT(ASCP)
Histology Co-ordinator
Licking Memorial Health Systems
(740) 348-4163
(740) 348-4166
tmcnemar <@t> lmhealth.org<mailto:tmcnemar <@t> lmhealth.org>
www.LMHealth.org<file:///C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\TMCNEMAR\Application%20Data\Microsoft\Signatures\www.LMHealth.org>

This e-mail, including attachments, is intended for the sole use of the individual and/or entity to whom it is addressed, and contains information from Licking Memorial Health Systems which is confidential or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, nor authorized to receive for the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this e-mail and attachments is prohibited. If you have received this in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail and delete the message immediately. You may also contact the LMH Process Improvement Center at 740-348-4641. E-mail transmissions cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. Thank you.