[Histonet] Zinc Fixative Question.....

Amy Porter portera <@t> msu.edu
Mon Sep 10 10:32:59 CDT 2012

A wonderful colleague recommended to aid in my response that I add the
components I am using for preparation to assist in obtaining a more specific
response, about shelf life, so here it is:

0.1   M Tris/HCl Buffer pH 7.4 - to which is added:

Calcium Acetate - 0.5 gm

Zinc Acetate - 5.0 gm

Zinc Chloride - 5.0 gm

The resulting solution was pH 5.45

According to my protocol my pH should be between 6.5 & 7.0 which is working.
I am just starting to work on developing this protocol and my Zinc Chloride
looked pretty pathetic in the bottle and I will be ordering fresh.  I think
this may have affected the pH - uncertain however at this point.

Amy S. Porter, HT(ASCP) QIHC

Michigan State University

Investigative HistoPathology Laboratory

William S. Spielman, Ph.D. - Director

Patricia K. Senagore, M.D. - Consulting Pathologist

Department of Physiology / Human Pathology

Biomedical Physical Sciences Building

567 Wilson Road - Room 2133

East Lansing, MI  48824-3320

Phone:  517-884-5026