[Histonet] Ergonomics

Gagnon, Eric gagnone <@t> KGH.KARI.NET
Wed Sep 5 14:56:21 CDT 2012

Hi Karen,

Here's a response to your question, as I haven't seen any others (?)  While I haven't used the Newcomer handgrip device, I developed have DeQuervain's Tenosynovitis , a repetitive strain injury from turnin' the ol' microtome wheel for 28 or so years now.  I would definitely recommend the foot pedal, since you have a microtome equipped with one.  Yes, there is some loss of 'feeling' and it's a change from two hands on, but there is still the option of taking the microtome 'off line' and turning the wheel manually for difficult blocks.

I can only speak for myself, but the more I used the foot pedal, the more confident and at ease I became.  Start off slowly, working up towards more challenging blocks as soon as you can.  Not that one can ever let one's guard down with anything with a motor...car, microtome, what have you.

But in terms of ergonomics and saving your joints, I would try anything and everything you have at your disposal.  It's never too late to change for the better.

Hope this helps,

Eric Gagnon MLT
Histology Laboratory
Kingston General Hospital,