[Histonet] (no subject)

Jackie O'Connor b427297 <@t> aol.com
Tue Sep 4 10:21:25 CDT 2012

We use Kapak bags which are sealed with a heat sealer.  Our tissues are preserved for 15 years in this manner, with no leaks.  I recently had to process some retrieved tissues which had been in storage for 14 years - they were great, and the quality of the tissues was no different than if the tissues had been taken the day after necropsy.  Kapak bags are available through VWR in many different sizes.  The heat sealer is about $1000.
Jackie O'

-----Original Message-----
From: Lynette Pavelich <LPaveli1 <@t> hurleymc.com>
To: Bernadette del Rosario <badzrosari <@t> yahoo.com>; histonet <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Mon, Sep 3, 2012 7:27 pm
Subject: RE: [Histonet] (no subject)

Some years ago, our morgue stored stock tissues in sealed bags. These were
actually the stronger plastic bags that are heat-sealed closed (much thicker
plastic than the style of bags you were speaking of).  After some time, (~2-3
yrs), the seams of the bags weakened and leaked all over, especially if they
were stored piled on top of each other.  It was disappointing as we were running
out of room too.
Additionally, we have found that  plastic containers that are stored one on top
of another, the weight of the top container will finally crack the lid below and
the NBF evaporates.
I also would like to hear what others are doing for successful long termed
preservation of tissues besides using glass jars!

Lynette