[Histonet] FW: storage bags

Roberta Horner rjr6 <@t> psu.edu
Tue Sep 4 07:41:01 CDT 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: Roberta Horner
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 8:29 AM
To: 'Lynette Pavelich'
Subject: storage bags

I use the heat-sealable bags.  I only keep the tissues for 6 months then discard.  I keep them up right in plastic bins (animal cages I think they are called).  Occasionally I have one that will dry out but for the most part it works fine.  I get the bags from Fisher the heavier ply.  Label the bag, add just enough formalin to cover the tissues since they are already fixed.  When I am ready to dispose of them I put the bags in a red bag and they are then incinerated.  I asked our incinerator operator if I needed to pour off the formalin and he said it wasn't enough to affect his incinerator so save me lots of time.
Roberta Horner HT/HTL
Animal Diagnostic Lab
Penn State University