[Histonet] The Rise of Physician Owned/Operated Labs (POLs) and future trends

Joe W. Walker, Jr. joewalker <@t> rrmc.org
Wed Oct 31 11:02:56 CDT 2012

I don't think that the urologist would agree with you.   There were several studies that have shown that not sampling adequately from the various areas of the prostate misses cancers.  Not to mention that some urologists now treat their patients different.  I am not aware of a cost analysis or a benefit to patient but below are just a few examples of why it would be important to sample at least 12.

Canadian Urologic Association recommendations for prostate biopsies (2010).  Can Urol Assoc J. 2010 April; 4(2): 89-94.

Sextant biopsy scheme
The original systematic biopsy method is the sextant biopsy scheme (1 core from the base, mid, and apex bilaterally).38 With this scheme, the cores were taken through the parasagittal plane, which resulted in some false-negative results39 (Level 2 evidence). Up to 30% of cancers were missed by the standard sextant biopsy40,41 (Level 2 evidence).

Presti JC, Jr, Chang JJ, Bhargava V, et al. The optimal systematic prostate biopsy scheme should include 8 rather than 6 biopsies: results of a prospective clinical trial. J Urol. 2000;163:163-6. [PubMed]

Norberg M, Egevad L, Holmberg L, et al. The sextant protocol for ultrasound-guided core biopsies of the prostate underestimates the presence of cancer. Urology. 1997;50:562-6. [PubMed]

Recommendation: An extended biopsy scheme of 10 to 12 cores is recommended to optimize the ratio of cancer detection to adverse post-biopsy events. Lesion-guided biopsy can be added to further optimize cancer detection (Grade A recommendation).

Joe W. Walker, Jr. MS, SCT(ASCP)CM
Anatomical Pathology Manager
Rutland Regional Medical Center
160 Allen Street, Rutland, VT 05701
P: 802.747.1790  F: 802.747.6525
NEW EMAIL: joewalker <@t> rrmc.org
www.rrmc.org

Our Vision:
To be the Best Community Healthcare System in New England

Rutland Regional...Vermont's 1st Hospital to Achieve Both ANCC Magnet Recognition® and the Governor's Award for Performance Excellence