[Histonet] Dako vs Ventana IHC systems

Joe W. Walker, Jr. joewalker <@t> rrmc.org
Mon Oct 29 14:55:20 CDT 2012

Thank you for this information, Christie.  We are a much smaller lab and would be using the new system as our primary IHC stainer.  Workflow considerations are a primary concern for us in addition to staining consistency and ease of use.  From what was demonstrated to us, the Ultra did not appear to be that "closed" and provided lots of flexibility for running just about anything we wanted but it was a sales pitch.  We are still in the "researching our options" stage.

We have experienced less than desirable service from Dako but they currently have a presence in our lab.  We have been pretty happy with the antibodies from Dako.

Joe W. Walker, Jr. MS, SCT(ASCP)CM
Anatomical Pathology Manager
Rutland Regional Medical Center
160 Allen Street, Rutland, VT 05701
P: 802.747.1790  F: 802.747.6525
NEW EMAIL: joewalker <@t> rrmc.org<mailto:joewalker <@t> rrmc.org>
www.rrmc.org<http://www.rrmc.org>

Our Vision:
To be the Best Community Healthcare System in New England

Rutland Regional...Vermont's 1st Hospital to Achieve Both ANCC Magnet Recognition(r) and the Governor's Award for Performance Excellence

From: CHRISTIE GOWAN [mailto:christiegowan <@t> msn.com]
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2012 12:15 PM
To: Joe W. Walker, Jr.; terri.brown <@t> northside.com; lsebree <@t> uwhealth.org; lynn.burton <@t> illinois.gov; gtharp <@t> pcasoutheast.com; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Dako vs Ventana IHC systems

Hi Joe,
When searching for an automated IHC stainer, you need to shop based on your facility and it's needs. We recently went through the whole shopping around experience and because we are such a large facility, we have the Ventana Ultra as well as an XT and the New Dako Link. We use the Ventana Ultra for single piece flow and it really changed the dynamic of our lab. We also use the Ventana for all our automated probes including the dual Her2/Chr17 CISH. The Dako's (we have 2) we use for all those things that we do not run on the Ultra or Benchmark XT. About 50/50 on each system. We also do a lot of research for the UAB campus and it is nice to have the more open DAKO systems. We have 3 very experienced IHC techs working in the lab which lends a lot of consistency to the staining. I say this because if you rotate people through the lab or your staff is less experienced then you want something that is easy and consistent. We will probably always have the Ventana systems in our lab so not much shopping around for a more or less closed system (there is always debate over the open/closed thing) However, shopping around for a more open system can be a little harder. We demo'ed the bond, Biocare, Dako and Labvision. We narrowed it down to Biocare and Dako based on ease of use, speed and capacity and reagents/antibodies. Once we had narrowed it down to the 2 companies, then we started looking at packages. Dako delivered the best package and because Dako already had a presence in our Histology lab (Artisan Special Stainer) and we knew their service was always prompt (we always struggled with this with Leica) We chose Dako and replaced our 2 older Labvisions with Autostainer Links.
If you have any questions you can let me know via email and I will give you our contact info. Best of luck to you.
Christie Gowan
UAB Hospital
Birmingham, AL