[Histonet] Re: Cutting Blocks

Tim Higgins thiggins <@t> cddmedical.com
Fri Oct 26 09:47:20 CDT 2012

All great points, awesome information, that’s why we all enjoy histonet.

One thing I've learned over the 20 plus years in histology is every person
is different and you cant stick them all in the same box.  I personally
don't believe 40 blocks an hour is unreasonable as an average as long as you
account for time spent doing other functions in the lab.

Some supervisor, admin. heads, whomever, want to divided the number of
blocks cut by a 8 hr. work day, not fair to the employee who also has to
load the slides, clean, answer phones, get interrupted by pathologist, use
the restroom (god forbid) and the hundreds of other tasks that some they are
not given credit for.

I am all for high production with quality sections, it can happen with a
well taught ,seasoned, hard working technician that strives to be a good
tech.  That is another part of the equation, some tech (hard to believe)
don't care to be "the best they can be" and just want to get in there and do
there work and go home.  You can try and shoe horn them into the same mold,
or you can try to understand that not everyone is dedicated and has the same
skill set.   This is the time they get evaluated and receive the same
evaluation as the work they have put forth.  Best way for them to get the
message you are trying to get across given you have been up front with them
preceding the evaluation.

Tough subject and everyone has a opinion on what is right.

My two cents.

Tim

Joelle Weaver MAOM, HTL (ASCP) QIHC