[Histonet] Number of blocks

Dessoye, Michael J mjdessoye <@t> commonwealthhealth.net
Thu Oct 25 11:07:38 CDT 2012

I find it interesting that this issue comes up every so often on
Histonet.  There are so many factors that affect the time it takes to
get a quality section that it seems silly to set an arbitrary number
that techs are expected to reach.  In my opinion, this is trying to find
a way to measure productivity on a process that has too many variables
to be accurately measured.

I can understand the desire to find a way to measure this productivity,
but my number one rule is still quality over quantity.

Michael J. Dessoye, M.S. | Histology Supervisor | Wilkes-Barre General
Hospital | An Affiliate of Commonwealth Health |
mjdessoye <@t> commonwealthhealth.net | 575 N. River Street | Wilkes Barre,
PA 18764 | Tel: 570-552-1432 | Fax: 570-552-1526

-----Original Message-----
From: Dorothy Ragland-Glass [mailto:techmana12 <@t> yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 8:38 AM
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Number of blocks

It was annouced by a histo lab manager that techs are expected to cut
40-50 blocks per hour. That seems to me to be rather high. I don't see
quality slides being turned out. It is quantity and profit above patient
care. I am old school, and I remember something about quality and
patient first. Besides  what kind of impact on morality of the techs,
back problems and carpal tunnel syndrom is laying ahead for the cutter
after cranking the microtome repeatedly that many blocks without a
break.

they are addressed.
originator of the message. This footer also confirms that this
email message has been scanned for the presence of computer viruses.

states them to be the views of Commonwealth Health.

Scanning of this message and addition of this footer is performed
by Websense Email Security software in conjunction with
virus detection software.