[Histonet] Number of blocks

Rathborne, Toni trathborne <@t> somerset-healthcare.com
Thu Oct 25 09:26:30 CDT 2012

Although almost 20 years ago, the reference lab I worked in had similar expectations. They also had no idea that GARBAGE IN= GARBAGE OUT, and we had an unusually high number of recuts.  Smaller sections in the cassette or longer fixation would have reduced that number.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Brendal Finlay
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2012 10:21 AM
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Number of blocks

Many years ago in histology training at AFIP, we were taught that the "quota" was 30 blocks an hour.  As someone stated before, certain tissue types are easy to cut and are 1-2 sections per slide making that 40-50 block/hr rate a bit reasonable. When you're leveling prostates, skins, cutting specials or unstained, working with dry, difficult, or fatty tissue, slide turn out time is increased.

I remember recently seeing someone talking about cutting 80 blocks/hr and the folks I work with could see the multiple question marks above my head because that seems impossible to me at less than 30 seconds per block.  No offense to anyone who can do this.  More power to you!

I looked in a few histology books, but could not find a written reference on how "fast" a tech should cut.  Consistent, good sections placed on the slide in a neat manner should also be factored into the equation.

*hops off soapbox*

Brendal C.Finlay, HT (ASCP)