[Histonet] RE: protein concentration on tissue culture supernatant

Thurby, Christina christina.thurby <@t> bms.com
Fri Oct 12 15:02:17 CDT 2012

Hi Katy,
I have a biotinylation kit from Sigma.  I need to know the starting concentration to run the biotinylation assay.  I ran a Bradford on the antibody yesterday and got a total protein concentration of 10 mg/mL.  Not sure how much of that total protein is my target antibody.  I don't have to purify the antibody, but I do have to dialyze the antibody to remove the sodium azide.  Yes, I am using this antibody on Mouse frozen sections tissue (but the primary is a rabbit monoclonal - so mouse on mouse is not an issue).  I do need to biotinylate the primary antibody to use it with the IHC for LCM kit from molecular devices.  I have tried adding in the biotinylated secondary step (although this is not suggested by the manufacturer) and I'm not getting good results yet.  I have not had any luck finding a commercially available biotinylated calcitonin antibody.  We'll see, I'm still working through this.  Thanks for the feedback.

I'll also include the feedback I rec'd from Dr. van der Loos.  Anyone with more thoughts, please feel free to join the discussion!!!  Many thanks

Hi Christina,
If it is a hybridoma antibody it will contain fetal calf serum for sure.
Again I find it almost unthinkable that we pay 400-700 Euro's/USD's/whatever (or more!) for an antibody that is not characterized concerning its Ig concentration! We had the same problem with ThermoFisher concerning CD3, SP7 when we wanted to perform a conc. matched rabbit negative control.

NB: The ARKit will not work for your rabbit mononclonals. You better turn to the Invitrogen Zenon kit. I do hope these idiots have finally inserted a data sheet and working manual with those kits.... :-(

There is still a lot to improve out there!

Good luck,
Chris

Van: Thurby, Christina [christina.thurby <@t> bms.com]
Verzonden: vrijdag 12 oktober 2012 16:08
Aan: C.M. van der Loos; JMyers1 <@t> aol.com; ihcrg <@t> googlegroups.com
CC: Simutis, Frank
Onderwerp: RE: [IHCRG] IHC question/help
Thanks Chris,
I was very concerned about whether I should be confident with the Bradford results for total protein.  I ran it in triplicate yesterday and my antibody protein concentration measurement is 10 mg/mL (I don't know if there is carrier protein - I will call the vendor again).  The spec sheet lists under Format:  This antibody is supplied as a tissue culture supernatant containing sodium azide as a preservative.  I called the vendor again yesterday to get more information, this is a rabbit monoclonal calcitonin antibody, clone SP17 from a hybridoma.  The vendor reports that it is not purified.  I have to admit, I do not have a good understanding of rabbit monoclonal antibodies just yet (but that is a separate issue all together).

I am using a new test system for a florescent IHC staining kit for LCM from molecular devices.  This kit is for frozen tissue and I need to biotinylate the primary (since this is a direct label kit) and part of the focus is RNA degradation of the sample.  This kit tells me I need to label the samples with 30-100ug/mL of the primary antibody.  This is a much, much higher concentration than I am used to working with.  I have successfully used the ARK kit with other antibodies and I agree - with your comments!   That may be an option we switch back to.
Thanks again for your feedback!

Christina Thurby
Bristol Myers Squibb
812-307-2093