[Histonet] Re: Radiation safety

Bob Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 21:12:55 CST 2012

Deloris Carter (where?) asks:

>>I'm trying to complete a protocol for radioactive specimen handling.  I
need to know if anyone has suggestions for this.  We do not use a geiger
counter for specimens.  The radiation safety person in nuclear med says
their policy is that technicium 99 has such a short half life, and that
there is no need for special handling of sentinel node specimens.  I just
need some input.  I'm not really getting anywhere with nuclear med on any
other information such as prostate seeds, the actual breast biopsy that may
be sent after a sentinel node procedure, etc.  Our CAP inspection looms,
and I need to finalize this protocol ASAP.  Thanks for any help.<<

Technetium 99m has a half-life of six hours, decaying (emitting a
gamma particle) into technetium 99 which has a half-life of over
100,000 years. The amount of radioactive material in a sentinel node
or a lumpectomy specimen is so small that no special precautions are
needed in handling and processing it. There are a number of good
articles about this available - I can probably find some references -
but this matter was put to rest about 15 years ago.

The radioisotopes in prostate "seeds" are more hazardous. There are
three such isotopes, if all of them are still in use. The
longest-lived has a half-life of 73 days, so it takes about two years
for it to decay to a reasonably safe level.

I've received "seeds" in prostatectomy (TURP) specimens, with no
information as to what they were or how old they were. Although they
are probably not very hazardous, I consider this to be serious
negligence. Here's what they look like, from a specimen I had several
years ago (the "seeds" were four years old, I finally found out).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobrichmond/5833004125/in/set-72157618450128961

I would suggest not processing the specimen (or opening the container)
until adequate information is obtained. Expect to be treated with
great condescension when you inquire. I don't know of any references
on the subject.

I don't know how CAP addresses the problem.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN