[Histonet] Pa Leeeze

Boyd, Debbie M DKBoyd <@t> chs.net
Wed Nov 21 08:12:00 CST 2012

Thank you Bill, well stated!

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of O'Donnell, Bill
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 3:25 PM
To: Bruce Gapinski; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Pa Leeeze

Like it or not, politics played a part in the cut of 88305. So did POLs, CAP and a host of other factors. Finger pointing in time of uncertainty somehow makes us all feel better, but  it doesn't give us concrete ways of addressing the problem. Histology has enjoyed a fairly long period of great reimbursement, reasonable per-test costs, and a certain amount of security in that what we do is unique.

That is all changing, but was likely to change at least some no matter who was elected to do whatever. Remember the panic when DRG's first arrived?

There is no doubt that labs are going to have to get leaner, but this was already a trend. Find reasonable ways to cut costs. I know. We've been doing this for years.... But it needs to go further.

Some people will lose their jobs. I may well be one of them and I don't like it, but it is a reality. If I go down, it will not be for lack of trying to maintain.

88305 cuts are big but there are a lot of clinical services getting cuts as well. Hospitals need to do what they can to keep the doors open for the benefit of the patient. Pay cuts, bonuses+/-, benefits, hiring freezes, capital freezes are all looming on the horizon. If at all possible, fight them, but do not exhaust yourselves. It's a new world - and it will sometimes be ugly. Blame the Democrats or the Republicans, Wall Street or Main Street, but figure out how to adapt.

OK. So.... What can we do to ride out the storm?

1. Find a marketing advantage. POLs and certain smaller private labs cannot remain the "bargain" they once were. My lab is expectiing to get back some of what we lost to them a few years back. We are the only game in our town.... Why are we losing business to labs in other areas? It should all be staying here.

2. Become politically active. Demand better from your elected officials and from your professional organizations that are lobbyists(sp). If they can't do the job, use your vote or your membership fees to fire them OR run for office yourself. Become an activist in your professional organization.

3. Maintain high standards. Cut-backs and performance improvement need not automatically equate to less quality. I hate it when people assume that shaving a couple of minutes must necessitate poor cutting. How close to borderline is your current quality if this is your attitude.
Yes, that was snarky, but think about it.

4. Remember the mantra of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe: DON'T PANIC. When you are caught up in a panic mentality, thinking and problem solving suffer. We need our heads in the game if we are going to come out on top.
(How's that for my best Zig Zigler impersonation)?

Above all - have a nice day and thank you for letting me vent a bit.

Bill