[Histonet] Stain for osteoporotic bone in Spurr plastic

Patsy Ruegg pruegg <@t> ihctech.net
Fri Nov 9 09:28:44 CST 2012

Allison,

I had a great von kossa protocol for this but it was on glycol methacrylate
embedded bone, here it is, it uses the fluorescence property of eosin which
will stain the osteoid with the calcified bone covered by the silver von
kossa.

GMA is not removed
Rinse 5 micron sections in dih20, use clean glassware
Make 2% silver nitrate, put on the slides and expose them to uv (a lamp or
even in the window will do, for about 20 min.
The calcified bone should turn black
Rinse well in dih20, you can fix the silver with sodium thiosulfate but do
it quickly as it does remove some silver, rinse well in dih20
Hematoxylin nuclear stain, we used Gills#3 for 5 min., wash in tap water,
blue in ammonia water, wash well in tap water then to dih20
Make a 0.2% solution of aqueous eosin y, stain slides in this for 20 min.,
rinse in dih20 and airdry, coverslip with permount.
You can measure the calcified bone and nuclei in the light microscope, then
use a fluorescent scope with a fitc filter to see the osteoid, it will be
green just on the surface of the calcified bone which is black from the
silver.  We got a total sample area measurement, calcified area as a
percentage of total area, and osteoid area as a percentage of total area.
We did other measurements as well such as number of osteoclasts (we used a
Acid phosphotase (TRAP) enzyme histochemical stain for this) and number of
osteoblast (can use alkaline phosphotase enzyme histochemical stain for
these or we just counted them from the VK slide with the heme nuclear stain
by morphology, they will be lining the surface of the bone, very flat and
run together.)

Hope this helps.  Goldner TC is also used to measure osteoid but this worked
best for us.

Patsy Ruegg, HT(ASCP)QIHC
Ruegg IHC Consulting, LLC
40864 Arkansas Ave