[Histonet] Devasting news on 88305TC component

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Mon Nov 5 10:10:36 CST 2012

Yes, it is a general reeduction.
René J.

________________________________
From: Kim Donadio <one_angel_secret <@t> yahoo.com>
To: "Kienitz, Kari" <kkienitz <@t> orclinic.com>; "Nails, Felton" <flnails <@t> texaschildrens.org>; 'Jesus Ellin' <JEllin <@t> yumaregional.org>; 'Cristi Rigazio' <cls71877 <@t> gmail.com>; Brendal Finlay <brendal.finlay <@t> medicalcenterclinic.com>
Cc: "histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>; "Webster, Thomas S." <twebster <@t> crh.org>
Sent: Monday, November 5, 2012 11:03 AM
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Devasting news on 88305TC component

Hi Histonetters.

I was curious as to what measures or thoughts anyone had regarding the news from CAP about CMS cutting the 88305 TC by 52%.

This is a devastating thought and from the news letter it is supposed to start 1/1/13 and I dont see anywhere in here where it says specifically POL's. This loks to effect all of us.

Here’s the news letter. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

Kim D

CMS Cuts 88305 TC by 52%, Molecular Codes Go On CLFS
November 1—Advancing its commitment to contain health care delivery costs, CMS announced a series of physician pay cuts impacting pathologists in the final 2013 Physician Fee Schedule (PFS) released today. Most notably, the agency lowered the technical component (TC) of the surgical pathology code 88305 by 52%, although it raised the professional component (PC) by 2%, beginning Jan. 1. This change alters the global payment for this code, which will decrease by 33% as a result of this revaluation. The agency also announced that the newly developed molecular pathology CPT codes would be placed on the Medicare Clinical Laboratory Fee Schedule (CLFS). A new CMS HCPCS II G-code was created for situations requiring physician interpretation and reporting of these tests for Medicare beneficiaries.
The revaluation of the 88305 code—as well as other codes in this surgical pathology family—is not surprising. As directed by the health care reform law, CMS has been focused on scrutinizing high volume codes from all specialties as potentially overvalued services. Indeed, the 88305 code is not only high volume, but its TC has not been reviewed since valued in 2000
http://www.cap.org/apps/cap.portal?_nfpb=true&cntvwrPtlt_actionOverride=%2Fportlets%2FcontentViewer%2Fshow&_windowLabel=cntvwrPtlt&cntvwrPtlt%7BactionForm.contentReference%7D=statline%2Fspecial_report_final_2013_physician_fee_schedule.html&_state=maximized&_pageLabel=cntvwr