[Histonet] Unregistered techs

pruegg <@t> ihctech.net pruegg <@t> ihctech.net
Tue May 29 12:18:29 CDT 2012

   There is nothing volunteer about being ASCP certified as an HT or= HTL
   where  I have worked for the last 35 years, all those employed as HT's
   =  at  the  U of Colorado must be ASCP certified and I believe this is
   the case = for most other places doing hospital based Histology, work,
   right????

   =0A

     =0A

   =0A------= -- Original Message --------
   =0ASubject: Re: [Histonet] Unregistered tec= hs
   =0AFrom: Dorothy Ragland-Glass <[1]techmana12 <@t> yahoo.com>
   =0ADate: Mon, May 28, 2012 10:14 pm=0ATo: David Kemler <[2]histotalk@=
   yahoo.com>, Fellow HistoNetters
   =0A<[3]Histonet <@t> Lists.UTSouthwestern.edu>
   =0A=
   =0ADorothy R. Glass, BS,HTL(ASCP),IHC
   =0A  You  are  so right about = the good old days when you would prove
   who  you  were  and  sit  for  a paper not= computer exam at a medical
   school  close  to  you.  I sat for the HTL in 1988.= I was so proud to
   call  myself  a  Histologist  after  being  trained  at  a Schoo= l of
   Histotechnology  and  being ASCP certified. NOW you have people on the
   j= ob trained just referring to themselves casually as histotects. Not
   histo t= rainees. Unfortunate for us older techs, it is very offensive
   considering w= hat we went through in establishing a career not just a
   job. Some reference= labs is focusing on hiring aids to later, after a
   few  months  train  them  an= d refer to them as histotechs. I hate it
   when the term is used so freely.=0ASinserely, frustrated HTL
   =0A
   =0A
   =0ADavid Kemler <[4]histotalk <@t> yahoo.com> wrote:
   =0A=0A>Good  stuff. In the "old" days, 36 years ago for me, taking th=
   e  HT(ASCP) exam it was said that you were "registered" by the ASC= P,
   because  the  designation HT is given by the Board of Registry of the=
   ASCP. Many of the NEW folks use the word "certified". After a total o=
   f 39  years  (3  years was training before you were eligible) I= still
   only  use registered by the ASCP / Licensed by the State of Florida&n=
   bsp;and call myself a "histologist".
   =0A>
   =0A>In  those  d=  ays ( long before the Internet), you took your ASCP
   exam  (HT's,  MT's,  CT's,= BT's, MLT's) at specially selected medical
   schools  across  the  US. You= chose the one giving the exam which was
   closest  to  where  you  lived.  If you=  needed to drive 100 miles or
   further to  get to the examinin= g college on March 15 OR August 15th,
   (the only dates it was given)&nb= sp;that's what you did. Getting into
   the exam auditorium before y= ou were allowed to "sit" (that's what it
   was  called) for the exam, was= a challenge. You had to prove that you
   were  who  you  said  you were or you&n= bsp;were not getting in. Once
   those  guarded  doors  were closed - t= hey were CLOSED! I saw several
   folks  crying  outside the  auditorium  tha= t day n 1975. Chances for
   cheating were eliminated at every turn. Unfortuna= tely, not so today.
   So  you can  see  why  for  us older  techs, i= f you were HT(ASCP) it
   really meant something. Unfortunately, not so t= oday.
   =0A>
   =0A>Yours,
   =0A>Dave
   =0A>Hist= onetters,
   =0A>
   =0A>I see this subject tends to illicit strong s= entiments from
   =0A>professionals  who  are  impacted  or have an impact o= n HT/HTL's
   (sort of
   =0A>everyone on the net)?.
   =0A>
   =0A>I=  am  still  in  school,  but  I  want  to  fully understand how
   training,
   =0A>=  ;certification,  and registration work for HT/HTL=E2=80=99s.  I
   realize= that
   =0A>ASCP  certification  is  voluntary, and that some States requi= re
   some
   =0A>sort  of  license or certification, but I=E2=80=99ve never = heard
   of a =E2=80=9CRegistry=E2=80=9D
   =0A>for HT/HTL=E2=80=99s.
   = =0A>
   =0A>-The  way  I understand through what I=E2=80=99ve been taug= ht at
   school is that
   =0A>Histology is the study of tissue, And that..= .
   =0A>
   =0A>-To  study  tissue  there  is  another  science  that  prepa=  res
   specimens so
   =0A>they can be studied. And that...
   =0A>
   =  =0A>-There  is  a  final sequence =E2=80=9CQuality Control=E2=80=9D
   that ve= rifies the science
   =0A>that  prpares  specimens  is  properly  done so the= tissue can be
   studied.
   =0A>And that=E2=80=A6
   =0A>
   =0A>In=  order  for  this all to happen successfully and consistently,
   the
   =0A>=  HT/HTL's  make  sure that during the whole preparation process,
   safety
   =0A= >is observed, proper adherence to federal and state regulations
   =0A&g=  t;maintained, plus train other technicians to do the same, and
   much
   =0A&= gt;more.
   =0A>
   =0A>If  I  understood  it  all  correctly  I  can=E2=80= =99t help but
   wonder:
   =0A>
   =0A>If HT/HTL's do all of this cruci= al preparation work to make sure
   =0A>specimens  are acceptable for pre= cise microscopic identification
   of
   =0A>cells, tissue type, diagnosis = of disease, and other needs:
   =0A>
   =0A>"Why wouldn't we want to = have some method that can gage a set of
   basic
   =0A>skills to indicate = a level of competency that HT/HTL's should
   =0A>initially  have,  in  ord=  er to enter the field of work that can
   effect so
   =0A>many people eith= er directly or indirectly?"
   =0A>
   =0A>And  also... "Wouldn=E2=80= =99t having NAACLS accredited training
   and ASCP
   =0A>Certifications se= rve to gage those basic skills?"
   =0A>
   =0A>And  also=E2=80=A6  "Wo=  uld  gaging basic skills have a positive
   impact on the
   =0A>quality   of   =   patient   care   and   the  efficiency  of  the
   HT/HTL=E2=80=99s impact on
   =0A>= ;labs?=E2=80=9D
   =0A>
   =0A>I'm  not sure but...this fall=E2=80=A6 = when I complete my NAACLS
   accredited
   =0A>degree  program, and voluntar= ily take the ASCP HTL certification
   exam,
   =0A>my future employer will= be able to expect a certain level of
   =0A>competency that I hope to h= ave established through training and
   =0A>certification.
   =0A>
   =0A>Rick T.
   =0A>
   =0A>______________________________________= _________
   =0A>Histonet mailing list
   =0A>[5]Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
   =0A&= gt;[6]ht=
   tp://lists.utsouthwestern.edu/mailman/listinfo/histonet
   =0A>
   = =0A>
   =0A>
   =0A>
   =0A>________________________________
   =0A>
   =0A>From: Rick Tiefenauer <[7]gonavy2003 <@t> gmail.com>
   =0A>To: [8]histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
   = =0A>Sent: Saturday, May 26, 2012 12:52 PM
   =0A>Subject: Re: [Histon= et] Unregistered techs
   =0A>
   =0A>Histonet mailing list
   =0A>[9]Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu<=
   =0AHistonet mailing li= st