[Histonet] Unregistered techs

Davide Costanzo pathlocums <@t> gmail.com
Sat May 26 12:21:18 CDT 2012

Well said. Everyone should aim for certification. Those that don't will
offer myriad excuses, but it should be the standard. With any luck it
will be required one day (likely will). Whether OJT or college trained,
all should prove competency and the best way is through ASCP
certification.

Sent from my Windows Phone
From: Rick Tiefenauer
Sent: 5/26/2012 9:52 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Unregistered techs
Histonetters,

I see this subject tends to illicit strong sentiments from
professionals who are impacted or have an impact on HT/HTL's (sort of
everyone on the net)?.

I am still in school, but I want to fully understand how training,
certification, and registration work for HT/HTL’s.  I realize that
ASCP certification is voluntary, and that some States require some
sort of license or certification, but I’ve never heard of a “Registry”
for HT/HTL’s.

-The way I understand through what I’ve been taught at school is that
Histology is the study of tissue, And that...

-To study tissue there is another science that prepares specimens so
they can be studied. And that...

-There is a final sequence “Quality Control” that verifies the science
that prpares specimens is properly done so the tissue can be studied.
And that…

In order for this all to happen successfully and consistently, the
HT/HTL's make sure that during the whole preparation process, safety
is observed, proper adherence to federal and state regulations
maintained, plus train other technicians to do the same, and much
more.

If I understood it all correctly I can’t help but wonder:

If HT/HTL's do all of this crucial preparation work to make sure
specimens are acceptable for precise microscopic identification of
cells, tissue type, diagnosis of disease, and other needs:

"Why wouldn't we want to have some method that can gage a set of basic
skills to indicate a level of competency that HT/HTL's should
initially have, in order to enter the field of work that can effect so
many people either directly or indirectly?"

And also... "Wouldn’t having NAACLS accredited training and ASCP
Certifications serve to gage those basic skills?"

And also… "Would gaging basic skills have a positive impact on the
quality of patient care and the efficiency of the HT/HTL’s impact on
labs?”

I'm not sure but...this fall… when I complete my NAACLS accredited
degree program, and voluntarily take the ASCP HTL certification exam,
my future employer will be able to expect a certain level of
competency that I hope to have established through training and
certification.

Rick T.