[Histonet] certification of Histotechnologists

Marcum, Pamela A PAMarcum <@t> uams.edu
Fri May 25 11:10:22 CDT 2012

The programs were dropped as the pathologist could still hold the training etcetera to suit their needs and not worry about allowing histologist to become part of the professional/complex testing world.  In the 1960s when this happened we did few of the tests we are asked to do now and really rarely looked at slides.  Microscopes were rarely available to most of us to even review our work.  The changes in the field from routine histology to IHC have not been accounted for by ASCP and so far NSH has not made the grade for getting the field recognized as a part of the professional/complex testing world.  We now have QIHC however; it does not help those of us in the Histology side in any way.

The rest of the world is very different in how they approach this field and why it is needed for patient care.  I sometimes feel here we are only servants to the pathologist and what they want.  The pay scale has not gotten much better while the automated field in med tech are being paid more and required to do less hands on actual testing the way we do in Histology.

Pam Mar

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Morken, Timothy
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2012 10:56 AM
To: Janet Keeping; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] certification of histotechnologists

Janet brings up an interesting point. The rest of the world (ie, besides US) has histo as part of the med tech program and then they specialize in their final year. I have worked with techs from many other countries and in general are far more knowledgeable than the majority of even certified techs in the US.  The US med tech programs dropped histo decades ago. I'm not sure why. Pathology labs certainly benefitted financially because it allowed them to hire literally anybody to do the work.

But even in the US the med tech schools are declining due to lack of enrollment. Probably due to automation in laboratories they just don't need as many people.

Tim Morken