[Histonet] RE: Not requiring HT Certification)

Nails, Felton flnails <@t> texaschildrens.org
Fri May 25 09:16:52 CDT 2012

I studies at the famed AFIP while in the military and have two degrees and never thought I would stay in histology. 22 years later I am still in the field.
I don't think OJT is a bad route it has often generated some of our best techs but I am a firm believer that new techs need to go through a formal program or have a B.S. degree. I feel this way because most facilities require a degree to move up in positions of authority. I have a wonderful tech that went through a formal associates histology program but does not have a B.S. degree, my facility will not allow me to promote her to a assistant manager position. So if you are a young tech out there and you have dreams of moving up into a leadership position, get a B.S. degree in something. That is why med techs are held in higher regards and why most assistant director and director positions come from the clinical lab.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Mayer,Toysha N
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2012 8:26 AM
To: 'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'
Subject: [Histonet] RE: Not requiring HT Certification)

Like everyone else, I was going to keep quiet, but I can't.
I am sensitive to those downgrading us who took the OJT route.
I did the OJT route, had a BS in Biology, tried for Veterinary School, but that wasn't so.  What do I do with all of this Science?  As part of my Pre-Med curricula had to take histology, loved it.  Had no idea that it was a paying field and such.  Had I known, I would have applied to a school as a backup.  It took me a while, but when I was hired as a tech, I did not excel quickly (Cheryl remember my mistakes), but I learned and had patient coworkers.
Move on down the line several years and another coworker questioned my knowledge of the chemistry behind a stain, and all of a sudden all of my organic and biochem can running out of my mouth.  I didn't realize that I really knew all of that.  I had always felt a little disadvantaged because I did not get formal training through a school, just studied and passed the HT with the help of my coworkers (shout out to  LSU VetPath).
There is nothing wrong with OJT for Biology majors.  They should have the basic background to understand the chemistries and processes behind why we do what we do.  With the modernization of technologies and procedures in the histo lab some formal education is needed.  There are many ways to receive this education, it can be online, or in person.  It all depends on the learner.
To overcome the stigma we should continue with some of the things that are now in place to stabilize the training of our successors (yes we all are going to have to retire one day).  A continued push for formal training, promotion of the field, professionalism by our colleagues, and respect from the customers (pathologists, patients, and gen lab personnel).
In order to facilitate change for respect, we must first present a unified front.
I know good techs with no certification, I know bad techs with certification.  We all do.
Last year I celebrated my 20th year in histo and never thought I would be where I am.  I never wanted to do research, and didn't like management (don't like telling grown folks what to do), but I love teaching.  It helps me to learn the theory behind what I do and apply it better.  There are so many people who can do histo whether it is routine, special procedures, or management.
We shouldn't look down on those who took the OJT route, sometimes they just don't know about a formal program (like me).  You never know where the next great manager, director or tech is coming from, so don't count them out.

Toysha N. Mayer, MBA, HT (ASCP)
Instructor, Education Coordinator
Program in Histotechnology
School of Health Professions