[Histonet] Unregistered techs

Joe Nocito jnocito <@t> satx.rr.com
Thu May 24 18:27:55 CDT 2012

Let me add more fuel to this fire. Will makes strong points. I have been in
this field over 35 years ( has it been that long) Any way. I have worked in
and have managed many labs. I have had registered and unregistered techs.
Some good, some not so good, some I told that their talents would be better
served in another career field. Some people in histology come for the pay,
others for a career. However, I have seen some clinicians, nurses and other
healthcare providers do the same. I went to a neurologist once (emphasis on
once). I was trying to explain to him my lengthy previous medical history,
which has been plagued by  heart problems for years. He was not interested
in that. He wanted to get me in and get me out within the 15 minute time
limit.
My point is this: I don't care what job you do, there are going to be people
who look at it as a job, others look at as a career. My youngest sister had
some cognitive issues. She worked at minimum wage jobs all her life. One job
was at a laundry mat that had several large accounts. I met her for lunch
one day before I joined the Air Force.  I watched her fold sheets so tight
that they looked like you would cut your fingers on them if you ran them
across the creases. I asked her why she took so much care in folding the
sheets. She looked at me and said "Joey, I do it because anything you do,
you have to do it good. If you ain't gonna do it good, don't do it at all".
I still carry that notion and I hope I have passed that idea onto my
children. When I was in Basic Training, making my bunk, I would always think
of that day with my sister. Consider yourself lucky if you work with more
people who think Histology as a career rather than just a job. I always do.
I'll get off my soap box now and return you to regular programing.

Joe Nocito