[Histonet] (no subject) (Not requiring HT Certification)

joelle weaver joelleweaver <@t> hotmail.com
Thu May 24 09:25:44 CDT 2012

Peggy Thanks so much for posting this !! I see those job descriptions you speak of all the time. They actually contradict themselves within the description or job posting itself. Such as ask for HT/HTL certification OR 1 year acceptable experience, and then have education requirements of HSD or GED. There are a few people I guess that could be grandfathered, but wat is the certification and education they want/require?  Many people I have encountered working in the lab truly don't know the certification eligibility requirements now and think that OJT is still open- even as you pointed out the 7 year time elapse. I stopped trying to correct people's misconception on this and just direct people to the BOC/BOR website for the routes. I have no idea if they ever actually do it, but I do my best to get people to the correct information.  I agree supervisors or managers should be more informed on this and check before they advise people, but just my opinion.  I do think it is misleading to hire people and allow them to think that this alone can lead to their certification at this point if they don't also pursue the education. I have seen MANY people who fell into this situation and then were unable to change jobs if they needed or wanted to. I think only people who have ever been involved with teaching seem to know about NAACLS.

Joelle Weaver MAOM, HTL (ASCP) QIHC