[Histonet] disposal of 3, 3'-Diaminobenzidine Tetrahydrochloride (DAB)

idimitro <@t> mun.ca idimitro <@t> mun.ca
Thu May 24 07:37:48 CDT 2012

Dear HistoNet Community,

Recently we purchased an immunostainer . In the waste from the immunostainer there are small quantities of 3,3'-Diaminobenzidine Tetrahydrochloride (DAB) in the amount of e 35-38 mg per 20L of waste.
I want to hear from the community how you dispose of it. Do you use any of the methods available (permanganate/sulphuric acid and hydrogen peroxide/HRPA) to convert DAB to non-mutagenic compounds?

Thank you,

Iliana Dimitrova, RT, B.Tech., M.Sc.

Histology Supervisor
Medical Education and Laboratory Support Services (MELSS)
Faculty of Medicine
Memorial University of Newfoundland
St. John's, NL Canada A1B 3V6

http://www.mun.ca/cc/policies/electronic_communications_disclaimer_2012.php