[Histonet] Help

Monfils, Paul PMonfils <@t> Lifespan.org
Mon May 21 11:02:19 CDT 2012

I realize that such "+" slides come with the instruction to completely
dry slides at room temperature before placing in the drying oven.  I
have used these slides for many years, and have found this procedure to
be not only unnecessary, but sometimes problematic. I believe sections
are more likely to detach if dried at room temperature prior to oven
drying.  If the section is not lying perfectly flat against the glass -
and some types of tissue never do initially - room temperature drying
doesn't allow wrinkled areas or other problem areas to effectively
spread flat. Points that are in contact with the glass bond
electrostatically, but points that are separated from the glass, even by
a few microns, do not.  Then, when placed into the oven, such raised
areas cannot spread flat because closely adjacent areas are already
bonded to the slide, and cannot move.

After picking up sections from the waterbath, I allow them to stand
vertically and drain for no more than 5 minutes, then place them into
the drying oven at 70 degrees C. for an hour.  I very seldom have any
detachment problems with this protocol.

Paul M.