[Histonet] Ventana/ LIS

joelle weaver joelleweaver <@t> hotmail.com
Thu May 17 11:24:52 CDT 2012

My understanding is that they want you to buy the Vantage system. I would consider them a "closed system", meaning that they set it up for little manipulation by users- that is a plus or minus depending on your viewpoint. It appeals to labs who don't want to do a lot of training, and from their mouths "they make it so "anyone" can use it". I would say that it does ensure a certain amount of reliability and standardization, but that is not really my stance on good use of instrumentation-but another topic entirely! I would say that in my dealings with Ventana their are protective of their products /design so that it is difficult to stray from the system( they want you to buy their stuff)- not to say it can't be done.  That is not really a criticism of them,  and makes good business sense, just a plus or minus to be considered when you buy instruments. It may be possible with middleware of some sort or with customized programming to do what you wish to do. They would probably have to allow access  or provide a map to the code. If you have programmers in your LIS department you might check with them and probably depends on what computer system you have ( older or object oriented perhaps). I think that situation may change with EMR and competitors that can directly interface, as this will be an issue of increasing importance in my opinion.

Joelle Weaver MAOM, HTL (ASCP) QIHC