[Histonet] Tendon Tissue Specimens

Ian R Bernard ibernard <@t> uab.edu
Sun May 13 17:55:27 CDT 2012

Histonetters, our lab processes tendon tissue. After processing, embedding and at the microtome, the specimen tends to be hard (possible calcification) like bone.  We get decent sections but not the best, consistently. To help get the decent sections, we soak longer than regular tissues (almost like the endoscopic tissues), and we do some surface decalcifying.

Besides these two techniques, are there are other methods for obtaining optimum sections (I.e. full face and complete), e.g. processing protocol, soak in another reagent etc.?

Ian R. Bernard
Ian R. Bernard, MSHA, HT (ASCP)
10th Medical Group- Anatomic Pathology Lab
USAF Academy, CO 80840