[Histonet] Evaluation of interobserver variability among pathologists

McMahon, Loralee A Loralee_Mcmahon <@t> URMC.Rochester.edu
Thu Mar 29 09:24:01 CDT 2012

This is exactly what we do as well.

Loralee McMahon, HTL (ASCP)
Immunohistochemistry Supervisor
Strong Memorial Hospital
Department of Surgical Pathology
(585) 275-7210
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Maray Weirauch [mweirauch <@t> crittenton.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2012 10:14 AM
To: Histonet Listserv (E-mail)
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Evaluation of interobserver variability among   pathologists

We subscribe to the PM Immunohistochemistry CAP Surveys.  (Each time we receive a new survey, they are given to a different pathologist so they each have a turn at submitting results to the CAP.  Can't say that they are fighting over them-haha)
When you go on-line to the CAP site to input results, you can print extra blank copies of the result form.  I will print several extra copies and hold them.  When the survey due date is past and the survey can be shared with other people, the slides and extra blank forms are passed around to all the rest of the pathologists for their input.
I collect all the results and put them in a spread sheet that lines up each pathologists' answers side by side along with the CAP expected result for comparison.
This is how we evaluate interobserver variability among our pathologists, nothing more.

We also compare our lab results bi-annually with the benchmarks, but this is not broken down by individual pathologist.

Maray