[Histonet] Phosphorylase method

Sharon Allen SAllen <@t> dsmanitoba.ca
Wed Mar 28 11:11:41 CDT 2012

Thanks for the quick response.
 I would love to take a look at your method. Our method from Dubowitz's
2nd edition has worked fine for years, but can leave residue on the
slides, especially when fresh, fades & is very messy to file and we seem
to be going back to previous bx's with more frequency. The 3rd edition
of Dubowitz & Dawson's Neuropathology Techniques do not use PVP or
glycogen, but use Dextran.  This solution is much nicer to work with,
not as thick & does not leave deposits on the slide when fresh and
claims to appear stable for several years. So, finally, after doing this
test one way "because we have always done it that way", I am trying to
clean it up a little.
Also, do you do phosphorylase routinely, if not what is the criteria for
doing it.  At present we do it as a part of a panel for all muscle bx's
(which amounts to 80 to 110 per year). It seems this may not be
necessary.
Thanks again for your interest; I would appreciate your input.
Have a good day,
Sharon Allen

Senior Medical Technologist

Neuropathology Lab-MS435U