[Histonet] Thionin Staining Recipe and Protocol

Geoff McAuliffe mcauliff <@t> umdnj.edu
Wed Mar 28 10:28:14 CDT 2012

Simple CV or Thionine method:

Cresyl Violet or Thionine0.1 gram

Distilled water100 ml

when dissolved add

10% acetic acid0.5 ml

*or *

glacial acetic acid100 µl

1. Bring paraffin sections to water as above, frozen or cryostat
sections are rinsed in water.

2. Stain 2-10 minutes in 0.1% cresyl violet or thionine.

3. Rinse in 2 changes of distilled water, 30 seconds to one minute each.

4. Dehydrate quickly in a few dips in 70% ethanol then 95% ethanol, 15
seconds, then 2 changes of 100% ethanol, one minute each.

5. Clear in 2 changes of xylene and coverslip with DPX mounting medium.

Some stain will come out in the lower alcohols which is normal. Only
nuclei and Nissl should stain. Sounds like your stain is too concentrated.

OR, if you prefer a buffered solution ...

1. Bring paraffin sections to water.

2. Stain 20 minutes in:

0.1% aqueous *Cresyl Violet* or *Thionin*, one part.

0.2 M Walpole acetate buffer, pH 4.05, ten parts.

(16 ml 0.2M acetic acid + 4 ml 0.2M sodium acetate)

3. Rinse twice in distilled water, 30 seconds to one minute each.

4. Dehydrate quickly in 95% ethanol, 15-30 seconds, then 2 changes of
100% ethanol, one minute each.

5. Clear and coverslip.

Source:_Staining Procedures_, 4th edition., George Clark editor.

Geoff

--
--
Geoff McAuliffe, Ph.D.