[Histonet] Tissue Micro Array Devices

Hugh Luk hlukey <@t> msn.com
Fri Mar 23 18:57:42 CDT 2012

Hi Carol Freeman,

I work in a TMA lab in Hawaii.  We own, and highly recommend, Pathology Devices semi-automated TMArrayer and a Beecher TMA-1.  However both are more expensive than the routine pathology lab can easily afford.  If you Google "TMA arrayer" and you will get several links including, http://www.ihcworld.com/tissuearray.htm  This information is nicely put together for various devices, and organizations with expertise, but seems a little dated.

There are a few less expensive versions for TMA construction kits.  Sakura's QuickRay was at NSH (http://www.sakura-americas.com/products/tisstek-quickray.html) and seems to be easier to keep the cores of tissue evenly lined up using a template that can be mounted and finally cut.  I remember thinking it was pricey, but I don't remember the exact costs.

Perhaps someone with a tissue arrayer can help you build some control blocks?  For my hospital neighbors, I offered to make control blocks if they would loan me the blocks and slides with the areas circled that they want in their (recipient) blocks.  I made a couple, but I find that labs need to make their own as quickly and easily as possible.  Lets face it, for the quick/dirty method, you just need a razor blade and some some embedding molds.

Therefore, for controls, I recommend you buy some "Biopsy Puches" (at least 3 mm) and make your own blocks using your embedding center (unless you understand the process of "Tempering").  Keep your control blocks simple to their needs, as people have a tendency of requesting exotic tumors in blocks that are depleted too quickly.

Hugh
UH Cancer Center Pathology shared resource
Honolulu

------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 09:37:36 -0400
From: "Freeman, Carol" <Carol.Freeman <@t> utoledo.edu>
Subject: [Histonet] Tissue Micro Array Devices
To: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>

Good Morning and Happy Friday fellow histonetters :)

I am looking into getting a Tissue Micro Array Device to make some nice multi-tissue (normal) and multi-tumor blocks for controls, validations and lot checks for IHC.  Has anyone any advice for purchasing one, any favorites or any we should stay from....Any responses are appreciated.

Thanks in advance ;)
Carol Freeman