[Histonet] PROTOCOL FOR COLOR CODING BIOPSY CASSETTES

Victoria Baker bakevictoria <@t> gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 08:52:33 CDT 2012

Hi Bernadette,

I know of several different color code set  ups.
Pink - breast tissue (usually has separate processing cycle for ER/PR....)
Lt. Green - biopsy tissue (has separate processing cycle - short run)
Tan -      bone marrow (has special stains and IHC built into the protocol)
Lavender - Prostate biopsies (short run also PIN4 built into protocol)
Aqua - skin/derm specimens
Red - "stat" or "rush" specimens"
Grey - urate crystal (special processing)
White - all other surgical material including breast tissue that does not
require special protocols
Blue - autopsy material

In some labs they correspond the cassettes and the slides (green cassette =
green slide).  In this context you will look at having both regular
(superfrost) and plus slides available as well.

There really isn't a set protocol it is more a way of easy identification
for processing and also which case/specimen take priority.  Faster
identification for loading of processors (breast tissue, biopsy, priority
cases) ,embedding (priority and embedding orientation), cutting (special
stains, add'l sections etc).

I'm not fond of the red cassettes because they are difficult to read if not
imprinted properly, but that color stood out best and most techs associated
it with 'move it out fast'.  I did get a chuckle when a tech once asked me
why we had lavender for prostate biopsies and I had to tell him that the
blue had already been taken ;-).  One other thing that I had consternation
about was putting fatty breast tissue from a reduction in white because of
grossing/processing issues.  I could not get assistance through the Doc's
for this so there were re-pro's until I was able to get ALL breast tissue
put on the longer processing cycle.  It didn't make me a lot of friends in
the grossing area though.

For the biopsies you may want to be sure you have matching mesh cassettes.
The lavender ones I usually always used mesh.

Look at what your specimen types will be and associate them with something
that is easily recognized by staff.  There isn't a set protocol for it
though.  Sorry and I hope this helps.

Vikki