[Histonet] RE: Nocardia sp in FFPE

gayle callis gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
Thu Mar 22 12:34:14 CDT 2012

Jeanine,

I always recall what the third edition AFIP manual (green) had to say about
staining Nocardia successfully.   Unfortunately, I didn't see an antibody
for Nocardia.

Several stains work and maybe have to do a combination of stains correlating
results using adjacent sections?

First choice would be GMS but you have to do some extra times in silver
solution according to AFIP manual/Luna.   In order to get complete
development of filaments if different types/strains are suspected, run two
slides with one at 60 minutes and the other at 90 minutes in the silver
staining solution.   Be sure to use chromic acid as the oxidizer.
Churukian Shenk had a modified GMS that is supposed to work too, but nothing
was said about extended times in methenamine silver solution.

Fite's

Rojas-Darby-Nochomovitz Method for Norcardia, TB and Leprae.  This is
similar to Fites but uses a Ziehl Neelsen carbol fuchsin modified with
mineral oil  (from  Luna's Histopathological Methods and Color Atlas book)

Luna Parker Method for Nocardia Asteroides  (Luna book) with filaments
appearing red.

Brown and Brenn should show the organism too.

Good luck

Gayle M. Callis

HTL/HT/MT(ASCP)

You Wrote:

I need the absolute best, most fool-proof special stain protocol for the
staining of Nocardia in FFPE tissue.

Thanks in advance!

Jeanine H. Bartlett, BS HT(ASCP), QIHC

Infectious Diseases Pathology Branch