[Histonet] PAS Diastase

Tony Henwood (SCHN) tony.henwood <@t> health.nsw.gov.au
Thu Mar 15 17:36:37 CDT 2012

My two cents:

I agree as well

Though in some instances the presence of glycogen is neither here nor there.
It might be removed just to make the diagnostic feature being sought easier to detect.

For example, we used to do routinely do AB-DiPAS on oesophageal biopsies for the detection of epithelial metaplasia as well as fungus. In this case the presence of glycogen was thought to confuse things so was removed prior to PAS staining. The presence or absence of glycogen in nearly all cases was not diagnostic. In this case an AB-PAS was not done.

Remember to look for internal controls for PAS staining (eg basement membranes).

Regards
Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC), FFSc(RCPA)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Geoff McAuliffe
Sent: Friday, 16 March 2012 12:55 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] PAS Diastase

I agree with Rene. A control (undigested) slide is necessary.

Geoff

--
--
Geoff McAuliffe, Ph.D.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender.

Views expressed in this message and any attachments are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of The Children's Hospital at Westmead

This note also confirms that this email message has been virus scanned and although no computer viruses were detected, The Childrens Hospital at Westmead accepts no liability for any consequential damage resulting from email containing computer viruses.