[Histonet] Re: undecalcified bone IHC

Jack Ratliff ratliffjack <@t> hotmail.com
Tue Mar 13 09:50:23 CDT 2012

I might also add that Neil Hand is co-speaking with myself and Philip Seifert this year at the annual National Society for Histotechnology - Symposium/Convention in Vancouver B.C. Our workshop is titled:

Resin Applications Forum: Methods for Processing, Special Staining, Immunohistochemical and In Situ Hybridization of Soft and Hard Tissue Including Medical Device Implants

During the last 50 years, numerous histological procedures have been described on resin embedded tissue. While different types of resins are available for different purposes, the acrylics provide the widest range of techniques, especially for light microscopy applications. However, as demand from H&E to more sophisticated techniques increases, so too have the problems, and nowhere is this more apparent and controversial than in the application of immunohistochemistry on resin sections. This workshop will provide a review and discussion for those individuals that currently work with and/or are just getting started working with soft and hard tissue specimens and specifically the various resins (i.e. MMA, GMA, Technovit, Acrylosin, etc.) associated with their specific tissue interests. The workshop will also detail the preparation and staining of sections of soft and hard tissue, including implants (e.g. undemineralized bone and cardiovascular stents), for immunohistochemical and in situ hybridization staining using different acrylic and epoxy resin embedding media. Specific problems and pitfalls, either technical or operational associated with certain resin embedding procedures, will be illustrated and examined. Particular emphasis will be given to procedures which have been used extensively for routine diagnostic, and research purposes, i.e. those that WORK! Individuals with a current or future intent to process and cut undemineralized tissue or tissue containing foreign implant materials using acrylic or epoxy resins are strongly encouraged to attend this workshop!

Please feel free to contact me if you would like more information about the workshop as information relevant to the exact date and time becomes available. All I know at this time is that the NSH meeting is September 29th - October 3rd, 2012.

Best Regards,

Jack

Jack Ratliff
Hard Tissue Histologist
Chairman, Hard Tissue Committee - National Society for Histotechnology