[Histonet] Optimizing H&E Stains for undecalcified bone

Jack Ratliff ratliffjack <@t> hotmail.com
Thu Mar 8 16:31:16 CST 2012

Merissa,

You should very easily be able to get a nice looking H&E from deplasticized undemineralized bone sections. In fact, try the protocol that I routinely use for my MMA embedded specimens:

Deplastification x 3 changes each for 15-30 minutes @ 55-60C w/ gentle dip and dunk at half way mark for each change

100% EtOH @ RT for 5 min

95% EtOH @ RT for 5 min

70% EtOH @ RT for 5 min

dH2O @ RT for 5 min

Hematoxylin 2 (from Richard Allen @ Fisher Sci) @ RT for 3 min

Running Tap Water Rinse for 1 min

Clarifier 2 (from Richard Allen @ Fisher Sci) @ RT for 20-30 seconds with a gentle dip and dunk at half way mark

Running Tap Water Rinse for 1 min

Bluing Solution (from Richard Allen @ Fisher Sci) @ RT for 20-30 seconds with a gentle dip and dunk at half way mark

Running Tap Water Rinse for 1 min

Eosin Y (from Richard Allen @ Fisher Sci) @ RT for 40 seconds

70% EtOH @ RT with 10 gentle dip and dunks

95% EtOH @ RT with 10 gentle dip and dunks

100% EtOH @ RT with 10 gentle dip and dunks

100% EtOH @ RT for 30 seconds

Xylenes @ RT for 3 min

Xylenes @ RT for 3 min

Coverslip

Your problem could be the type of hematoxylin you are using (progressive vs. regressive) and the length of time in solution. I would also recommend you try a Von Kossa with a MacNeal's tetrachrome counterstain, Goldner's trichrome, and maybe a toluidine blue stain with these type of sections.

Best Regards,

Jack

Jack Ratliff
Chairman, Hard Tissue Committee - National Society for Histotechnology