[Histonet] Re: glacial acetic acid vs bouins

Bob Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 09:26:01 CST 2012

On the subject of "fixing" marking inks (india ink, Davidson inks and
what have you) by dipping the specimen into a "fixing" agent:

I agree that Bouin's fixative shouldn't be used, as much because of
its messiness as its toxicity and possible explosion hazard. I've
worked in labs that used acetone, an unacceptable fire hazard.

2% acetic acid (roughly half-strength white vinegar) is supposed to
work as well as anything.

I've been grossing since before a fair number of you were born, and I
don't use anything. The important thing is to blot the specimen
thoroughly dry before inking it, whether it's unfixed or formalin
fixed. And realizing that nothing will stick to a cauterized surface
(such as a LEEP surgical specimen), but the microscopist can see the
cauterized surfaces without any inking.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN