AW: [Histonet] microtomy

Gudrun Lang gu.lang <@t> gmx.at
Sat Mar 3 07:39:57 CST 2012

I thought it as a rule, that the thickness of slides vary depending on
everything (inclusive weather, humidity, person, speed, temperature, cutting
angle...).
Although not very scientific, only the techs experience and "eye" will fix
the problem.

As for the duration on ice: If you have "wet" ice, the tissue can take up
the humidiy and swell (if too long, the tissue comes beyond the surface),
but the slides wouldn't be thicker. The cooler the block, the longer the
temperature is held while sectioning, the longer the thickness is stable.
But if you give one breath to the surface, the section is possibly double
thick.

Gudrun

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] Im Auftrag von Webb,
Dorothy L
Gesendet: Freitag, 02. März 2012 19:07
An: 'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'
Betreff: [Histonet] microtomy

We have run into an interesting scenario and wondering what the "experts"
think!  We cut bone marrow bx's and lymph nodes for lymphoma @ 3 microns on
one particular microtome.  Within the past month, the hematopathologist has
felt the sections are thicker than the usual 3 microns.  I had our service
technician  measure the microns and the equipment was cutting as set.  I had
the blocks cut on a different microtome and we have seen variations there
also.  My question is, does the amount of time on ice make a minor
difference in the section thickness?  I know a lot of responses may be the
difference in the tech cutting inasmuch as how fast they turn the rotations,
etc., but,we have ruled out that variable by having more than one tech cut
at the microtome in question. I am stymied as to how to remedy this
fluctuation!  This is why we love histology, so many variables to create a
problem and why I love histonet, so many techs to help one through a
dilemma!!  Thank you!!

Dorothy Webb, HT (ASCP)

  ________________________________
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or the individual
responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, please be
advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use,
dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly
prohibited.

If you have received this communication in error, please return it to the
sender immediately and delete the original message and any copy of it from
your computer system. If you have any questions concerning this message,
please contact the sender. Disclaimer R001.0