Posting photographs RE: [Histonet] microtomy

gayle callis gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
Fri Mar 2 16:35:33 CST 2012

There is a way to post pictures on histonet but just  not in the email
messaging.   The instructions for doing this are found on the Histonet
website.

Speed does affect the thickness of sections.   It pays to turn the flywheel
at a steady, slow pace and not NASCAR racing speeds I have sometime
observed.     Harder paraffin helps for thin sections but one should be able
to section at 2 um without difficulty on a properly adjusted microtome, a
sharp disposable blade and using any modern day paraffin.

Gayle Callis
HTL/HT/MT (ASCP)
Bozeman MT

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Kim Donadio
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2012 2:54 PM
To: Webb, Dorothy L
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] microtomy

Love your question. Hate to hear that you are having a issue. My two cents
follow:
Yes. The amount of time for a faced block will effect the section thickness.
The cells become bloated if they   Sit to long. < feel free to have a Friday
laugh on this one.
Anyway. If you havnt changed the stain in any way or the tech isn't rushing
and hard facing causing extrenuated cell artifact and you don't have bloated
cells? Could it be possible his eyesight got better or maybe he is mad and
wants to pick a fuss?
I sometimes wish we could post pictures if our issues. I'm wishing you the
best.
Kim D
Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 2, 2012, at 1:06 PM, "Webb, Dorothy L"
<Dorothy.L.Webb <@t> HealthPartners.Com> wrote:

> We have run into an interesting scenario and wondering what the "experts"
think!  We cut bone marrow bx's and lymph nodes for lymphoma @ 3 microns on
one particular microtome.  Within the past month, the hematopathologist has
felt the sections are thicker than the usual 3 microns.  I had our service
technician  measure the microns and the equipment was cutting as set.  I had
the blocks cut on a different microtome and we have seen variations there
also.  My question is, does the amount of time on ice make a minor
difference in the section thickness?  I know a lot of responses may be the
difference in the tech cutting inasmuch as how fast they turn the rotations,
etc., but,we have ruled out that variable by having more than one tech cut
at the microtome in question. I am stymied as to how to remedy this
fluctuation!  This is why we love histology, so many variables to create a
problem and why I love histonet, so many techs to help one through a
dilemma!!  Thank you!!

> Dorothy Webb, HT (ASCP)

> This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or the individual
responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, please be
advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use,
dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly
prohibited.