[Histonet] Hydrometer questions

Tim Wheelock twheelock <@t> mclean.harvard.edu
Fri Jun 29 09:08:13 CDT 2012

Hi everyone:

I wanted to thank everyone who gave me advice regarding my Luxol Fast
Blue problem.

First, I am going to compare using a very old LFB bottle (from the
1950s) and a new bottle.
Then I will stain some test slides for 2 hours and 24 hours at 60C.
(I am having my oven checked this morning by facilities).

To find out how much water is really in my 95% ethanol, I am assuming
that I need a hydrometer.
(I will also be using it to measure the isopropanol concentrations on my
tissue processor).

Is there a type of hydrometer that labs use for these purposes?
Where do you buy yours from?
Can the alcohol/water concentrations be read right off of the
hydrometer, like temperature is from a thermometer, or do you need to
use an equation.
I have never used a hydrometer before.

Thank you,

Tim Wheelock