[Histonet] Deeper Requests (and P.Carinii Controls)

Gagnon, Eric gagnone <@t> KGH.KARI.NET
Wed Jun 27 13:23:26 CDT 2012

Hi Dorothy,

I completely agree with Rene's response regarding the issue of deepers.  We have had this question raised by the number of requests from a few pathologists over the years, and the 'norm' would depend on many factors i.e. case mix, nature of tissue, pathologist need, and yes, possible embedding issues.

Regarding the fungus controls, the best control to judge endpoint is P.Carinii positive case.  However, if possible, I like to have a regular fungus control along for the ride, to judge the silver methenamine solution and when the endpoint may be approaching.  This is personal preference on my part, and our procedure requires only a P. Carinii control.

Hope this helps,

Eric Gagnon MLT
Histology Laboratory
Kingston General Hospital