[Histonet] RE: Muscle Biopsy Procedure

Sarah Dysart sdysart <@t> mirnarx.com
Mon Jun 25 10:33:51 CDT 2012

I have done the same thing with acetone instead of alcohol...

Sarah Goebel-Dysart, BA, HT(ASCP), QIHC (ASCP)
Histotechnologist
Mirna Therapeutics
2150 Woodward Street
Suite 100
Austin, Texas  78744
(512)901-0900 ext. 6912

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Kim Donadio
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2012 10:33 AM
To: Bea DeBrosse-Serra; 'Ian R Bernard'; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] RE: Muscle Biopsy Procedure

One place I was at didnt get many muscle biopsies so we didnt keep liquid nitrogen and isopentane, which is what I was trained to use initially. Here's what we did when we got a muscle biopsy and it worked fine.

After cutting the biopsy into 3-4 mm portions, we wrapped it in aluminum foil and snap froze it in a slush made from 100% alcohol and dry ice. We then shipped it in a styrofoam lined box full of peices of dry ice. The dry ice was made into small peices so we could place the snap frozen biopsy in the middle.

Good luck!