[Histonet] Embedding beads

Amber McKenzie amber.mckenzie <@t> gastrodocs.net
Mon Jun 25 08:43:05 CDT 2012

Does this slow the embedder down any having to pick a bead up each time to embed along with the tissue?  I've never heard of this procedure before.  The labs I've worked in have an embedding log and we initial each case we embed. What do you keep the beads in and are they set in a particular spot on the embedding station so they're easily assessable?

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Alan Taylor
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2012 5:15 PM
To: Willis, Donna G.; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Embedding beads

Hi All

We use Hamma beads to identify individual embedders on a particular day.
Hamma beads will be well known to parents and child carers as tiny tube like
beads that can be made into many patterns and then ironed (by adults) to
make colourful place mats etc for children.

Hamma beads come in a very wide range of colours, in bulk bags from any good
toy or handicraft store. They are very cheap and they are clearly visible
when placed in the corner of an embedding cassette when filling with wax.

We have a small staff in our lab so the colours we have chosen are readily
identifiable to an individual who has embedded a particular block. I can
strongly recommend them, we have used them for a number of years as a
traceable guide to a particular block. Hope this is helpful to all of you
who are embedding lots of blocks each day.

Best wishes to you all

Alan Taylor BSc(Hons), FRMS
Microtechnical Services
71 Sweetbrier Lane