[Histonet] H&E Stain for Epon-Embedded Tissue

Shanon Pink shanonpink <@t> gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 12:08:15 CDT 2012

Is it possible to perform an H&E stain on tissues embedded in Epon plastic
and cut into 0.5 - 1.0 micron sections? I can find protocols for doing so
with tissues embedded in methacrylate, but not in Epon. Would the protocol
for methacrylate also work for Epon, and if not, why? I am a student
working on a research project in an electron microscopy lab and am trying
to find a way to H&E-stain thick sections, or find a stain that very
closely approximates H&E.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!

Shanon Pink
University of Tennessee Health Science Center
Department of Clinical Laboratory Science
Memphis, TN