[Histonet] Billing IHC on MOHS

Carol Torrence ctorrence <@t> kmcpa.com
Mon Jun 18 16:23:01 CDT 2012

Thanks everyone.
I quoted the description straight from the PMIC coding manual.  It is for
use with 17311-17315, 88302-88309, 33221, and 88332.  I was hoping to get a
discussion about Mohs mysteries.  I have also found it in two other
publications. Mohs Society referred me AAD and I am waiting for an email
response.

After reviewing the slides that were given to our lab for staining I
discovered that all five slides were from a single block containing two
margins on each slide.  I charged 88314-59.

Kim you bring up another often controversial subject...when to charge 88307
or 88309. I became a CPC in 2005 but have found that if "you don't use you
lose it and if not....they will change the rules on you anyway".  Ha!

I appreciate all comment.
Carol T

-----Original Message-----
From: Kim Donadio [mailto:one_angel_secret <@t> yahoo.com]
Sent: Saturday, June 16, 2012 10:40 AM
To: Carol Torrence
Cc: Weems, Joyce K.; Ingles Claire; <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Billing IHC on MOHS

I'd be very careful with this. Histochemical even if it's on frozen section
such as 88314 does not mean immunohistochemical which is 88342 to my
understanding. To my understanding anytime you use a antibody it's a 88342
code. Now as far as being able to code for each margin say from 3-6 or 6-9
o'clock etc that seems like it would fall under the rules for each site to
me kind of like we would charge a 88307 or 88309 for excision with margins
instead of a 88305 which pays less. I personally recommend this not be left
in the hands of google or even histonet. Good information comes from both
but you might just want to put a call into American society of MOHs and ask.
Because over billing is serious business and can get you in a lot of
trouble. I only say this because usually in MOHs you'll get the whole
specimen which your checking for margins. Then any piece after that would be
a separate specimen example that would be part " B " which you could charge
separate for.  And since different docs do this differently making a call
couldn't hurt then you could come and share what they say with us :)

Sent from my iPhone