[Histonet] RE: Histonet Digest, Vol 103, Issue 22

Pixley, Sarah (pixleysk) PIXLEYSK <@t> UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Mon Jun 18 13:47:46 CDT 2012

Dear All:
I am seeking advice from someone who has experience with fixing and paraffin embedding rat muscle tissue. We want to dissect out muscles, fix them, embed in paraffin and then do H&E and immunostaining. Our first attempts, which involved immersion fixation in 4% paraformaldehyde, resulted in either very poor fixation or the tissue got cooked in the tissue processor.  There were parts of the muscle that were hardened and completely disrupted.  We suspect poor fixation, perhaps due to incomplete penetration?  However, if possible, we would like to avoid having to fix via perfusion. Are there any good tricks?
Please email me off the listserv.
Thanks,
Sarah Pixley
Sarah.pixley <@t> uc.edu