[Histonet] Billing IHC on MOHS

Ingles Claire CIngles <@t> uwhealth.org
Thu Jun 14 14:32:52 CDT 2012

Is this per "Specimen" or per surgical site. Mohs specimens are usually cut into smaller pieces and inked after the excision is removed. I would think this constitutes x# of blocks from the same specimen. Same as an excision that is breadloafed into separate sections. I don't think it matters who does the cutting, although when we send these to path for permenents they are logged in a separate specimens but only measured, never breadloafed.  Is it more dependent on how it is received in the lab even though the end result is still the same?
Claire

________________________________

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu on behalf of Weems, Joyce K.
Sent: Thu 6/14/2012 2:20 PM
To: 'Carol Torrence'; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Billing IHC on MOHS

If each location is identified as a separate specimen, you can bill per specimen, is the way I understand it.

e.g.
Received separately - 88342 x 4

3:00 margin - A
6:00 margin - B
9:00 margin - C
12:00 margin - D

If one specimen is received and divided into separate cassettes  - 88342 x 1
A1 - 3:00 margin
A2 - 6:00 margin
A3 - 9:00 margin
A4 - 12:00 margin

Best, $1,783.00

Joyce Weems
Pathology Manager
678-843-7376 Phone
678-843-7831 Fax
joyce.weems <@t> emoryhealthcare.org

www.saintjosephsatlanta.org
5665 Peachtree Dunwoody Road
Atlanta, GA 30342

This e-mail, including any attachments is the property of Saint Joseph's Hospital and is intended for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).  It may contain information that is privileged and confidential.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message, and reply to the sender regarding the error in a separate email.