AW: [Histonet] Inking Skin

Gudrun Lang gu.lang <@t> gmx.at
Sat Jul 28 05:10:45 CDT 2012

In my mind comes the pen that is used to mark patient's skin for surgery.
Does it survive processing?
Gudrun

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] Im Auftrag von CHRISTIE
GOWAN
Gesendet: Freitag, 27. Juli 2012 21:53
An: robinsoc <@t> mercyhealth.com; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Betreff: RE: [Histonet] Inking Skin

Just to clarify:
We do ink our excisions as described below in Cindi's response howerver, our
MOHs specimens come to us mounted on a pieces of sturdy paper and are
processed in place. We only describe them at gross and then directly place
the paper and skin into a cassette for processing. The specemins are skin
side up and then placed on edge when embedded. The clinician has stated that
he will ink the skin for us so we have a better success rate at getting a
full epithelial section at microtomy. Thanks Cindi for your input. We
actually use a diluted acetic acid solution to set our inks which is the
same thing as vinegar.
Christie

> Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 15:38:49 -0400
> From: robinsoc <@t> mercyhealth.com
> To: christiegowan <@t> msn.com
> Subject: Re: [Histonet] Inking Skin
>
> We use cotton swabs dipped in india ink in a variety of colors (purchased
from the local Hobby Lobby) and set it with vinegar. We ink the resected
margin not the skin. If there is no orientation we use black. If we have
orientation we use at least three colors. The ellipse is inked with one
color from tip to tip on one half. The other half is divided between two
colors. We cut perpendicular to the side with the solid color so each cross
section has two colors on it.

> Cindi Robinson HT(ASCP)
> Mercy Medical Center
> Dunes Medical Laboratories
> 350 W Anchor Dr
> Dakota Dunes SD 57049
> phone-712-279-2768
> robinsoc <@t> mercyhealth.com

> Dear Colleagues,
> My derm pathologist has requested that we ink the epithelium on MOHs derm
cases (new pathologist). We process many derm specimens a day but it seems
we are having trouble getting full epithelium on our cases that come over
from the MOHs clinic. I am not sure that inking the skin will help with the
problem but let's just say that if we do decide to ink the surface of these
specimens, does anyone know of an ink that will actually stick to skin? I
would appreciate anyones input. Thanks and have a great weekend.