[Histonet] Re: Decalcifying bone

Bob Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 12:31:19 CDT 2012

Jeanne Clark, Histology/IHC, Stanford Hospital and Clinics asks:

>>In looking through old procedures, I have found several different 'solutions' that have been used for fixation and decalcification of bone (particularly bone marrow cores). I would very much appreciate hearing what people are using today for optimal fixation and decalcification of bone for routine pathology and IHC testing.<<

I don't think that any of the present fixatives are significantly
better for bone marrow (and other surgical bone) than neutral buffered
formalin, and the ordinary commercial decalcifiers suffice.

More important is meticulous technique. Specimens must be adequately
fixed, and that often means overnight fixation before decalcifying; do
not use mixtures that combine fixative and decalcifier. Large clots
must be cut into thin slices so that they fix promptly. Femoral heads
and the like need to be slabbed with a saw, and the slab fixed
overnight. Decalcification must not be prolonged.

Constant feedback among histotechnologist, pathologist, oncologist,
and the person assisting the oncologist is essential, though rarely
achieved.

Of course, if the oncologist has given you crappy material to start
out with, then none of this is going to help!

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN