[Histonet] Decalcifying bone

Lynette Pavelich LPaveli1 <@t> hurleymc.com
Wed Jul 25 12:14:13 CDT 2012

For fixation, we use Z-fix from Anatech, LTD. It gets the great sharp nuclear detail that's so imperative to diagnosis but without the environmental issues of the old B-5 fixative.
After fixation, we decalcify in a formic acid solution called Immunocal from Decal Chemical Corp. Our IHC works well with this combo.

regards,

Lynette

Lynette Pavelich, HT(ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
Hurley Medical Center
One Hurley Plaza
Flint, MI 48503

ph: 810.262.9948
mobile: 810.444.7966

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] on behalf of Jeanne Clark [paintedsplashes <@t> yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 10:14 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Decalcifying bone

In looking through old procedures, I have found several different 'solutions' that have been used for fixation and decalcification of bone (particularly bone marrow cores).  I would very much appreciate hearing what people are using today for optimal fixation and decalcification of bone for routine pathology and IHC testing.

Thank you,

Jeanne Clark
Histology/IHC
Stanford Hospital and Clinics